Thursday, June 4, 2020

Sun and Shade

June 4, 2020

It’s hard to believe that just last month the cold and snow had us huddled by the fire in our back room. We got our April weather in May this year, and sitting on the patio in the evening was out of the question. Tonight, it was glorious, a far cry from the urban unrest plaguing our cities.

It was so warm this morning that I took my Bible, iPad, and notes out on the deck overlooking the creek. Twin trees, an ash and maple, rise overhead about forty feet, giving the shade I needed as refuge from the sun baking down on the patio as I finished up Sunday’s sermon. It felt good to be writing again, preparing to preach. It’s been a long time and I’m ready to go. 

Our Dunkirk congregation has endured some pretty hard knocks over the past few years, dwindling to a handful of faithful and sturdy folks who know a thing or two about endurance. In a strange twist of Providence, our small numbers is now working to our advantage. We could max out and still have plenty of room for social distancing in that huge sanctuary, so that’s what we’re going to do. It will be good to see everyone again, masks and all. The other day, as I was coming out of Home Depot, I bumped into one of our members. I had removed my mask as I walked out the door, but Janine had hers on as she entered. I knew it was her by her eyes even before she greeted me. She has kind eyes, revealing the soul behind them. A mask can’t hide a genuine smile. I’m looking forward to seeing lots of them Sunday. In the meantime, I am thankful for today’s sun and sermon in this little corner of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment