Thursday, June 18, 2020

Sounds of Peace

June 18, 2020

The patio on a summer evening is a symphony of sound. To my right, the creek laughs across the shale and over the waterfall, while overhead the birds call to one another. Behind me, Linda and our eldest granddaughter chatter through the family barbecue sauce recipe. I’m not sure if the peepers are tuning it up or if it’s just the ringing in my ears, but there’s no mistaking the sound of the cars, trucks, tractors, and motorcycles that announce their presence long before I see them on the road.

I’m glad to hear what I hear. For most of the day, it was heavy machinery, power saws, and nail guns as I joined a few other men from the church building an entryway to the new addition. When it started to rain, I took my hearing aids out and stashed them safely away. I toasted one once when a big raindrop hit squarely on it. The sizzle and pop told me all I needed to know. $2000 later, I vowed I’d never let that happen again. The problem is, without them, I couldn’t hear a thing anyone said, which can be a problem when the head carpenter is calling measurements for the next piece of lumber needing to be cut.

I’m at that stage of life where things that were pretty effortless once upon a time now take a bit of forethought and planning. I often have double vision at night when driving, which is quite exciting. I have to decide which lines I’m going to stay between, and which of the four taillights ahead of me are real, and which I can ignore. And a day like today becomes a challenge to see how long before my back and feet decide to complain enough that I give them a rest. Sitting on the patio in the evening really is a treat. 

All the sounds around me today were sounds of progress, of construction, and of peace. There was no arguing, no angry shouting, no gunfire and wails of anguish. Were I to listen to some people, I should feel guilty over my so-called “white privilege.” I have none, am grateful for the blessings I have received, and believe that failure to receive them with gratitude would be a slap in the face of the God who gave them as he chose. To whom has been given much, much is required, so I will do my best to give back, to bless others again tomorrow. Tonight, the sounds of peace echo in my heart, and I am glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment