Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Night Prayers

March 18, 2020

I rarely have trouble sleeping. Of course at my age, I wake up once or twice a night to make a trip to the bathroom, but I’m back sound asleep within seconds of getting back into bed. It drives Linda crazy. If she wakes up, her mind starts running all over the place with her. She prays, recites Scripture, and if that doesn’t work, she will finally head for the couch where she will turn the tv on low. She says the background noise helps her sleep, but it may take a couple shows for her to nod off. I’ve tried praying when I wake up, but can’t organize any rational thoughts before I’m asleep again.

This morning was different. I woke before five this morning and was wide awake. On those rare occasions when this happens, I figure God is making an appointment with me, so I got up, worked out, showered, and prayed before heading to Dunkirk to pray with two other pastors. We always begin with a psalm to focus our prayers in Scripture. Today’s was Psalm 16. The seventh verse reads, “I will bless the LORD who has given me counsel; My heart also instructs me in the night seasons.” 

The psalm continues, “I have set the LORD always before me; Because he is at my right hand I shall not be moved.” (v.8). Twenty-four hour news is not always a good thing. What we think about determines how we feel about life. Continual coverage of COVID-19 has many in a panic. The shelves in the supermarkets are nearly barren as people stock up in fear. It’s not surprising; the news is depressing. Which is why in times like these, psalms like this are so important. When I set the Lord before me—when I focus on him, I find a center that is steady and keeps me steady. Today it started early when I answered that morning call, then followed it up with Scripture and prayers that prevent the senseless downward spiral of thought and emotion that plagues so many people right now. 


“O LORD, you are the portion of my inheritance and my cup; you maintain my lot.” (v.5). The world is trembling today, but God is on our side, providing and securing to us what he has provided for us. The words of St. Paul are good ones with which to end the day: “I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.” (2 Timothy 1:12). He is able. That is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment