Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Brawn vs. Brain

March 10, 2020

I smell like an old man. Partly because I AM an old man, but even more so because my wife rubbed me down with Deep Blue, an analgesic that is reminiscent of BenGay. It’s my own fault; I was moving logs, more specifically, chunks of logs from the edge of our yard to the creek bank. The job only lasted about half an hour, but by the time I was done, I was sweating and sore. By this evening, I could barely stand upright; hence the Deep Blue. Getting out of bed tomorrow morning ought to be fun.


I am thankful for the soreness. It is proof I am still alive. And that I am still capable of physical labor. I know too many people my age who couldn’t do what I did this afternoon. Of course, I also know a few people my age smart enough not to try. I’m obviously not one of them. The coronavirus has been in the news for the past couple weeks, and will probably continue to make headlines for some time to come. From what I read, it’s not too serious for most people unless it gets into the lungs. Those whose health is already compromised run the greatest risk. I suppose it’s a matter of time before it reaches our area, but for now, a sore back is small potatoes compared to what many are experiencing. I am thankful tonight for aching muscles that give ample evidence that for once in my life, I have more brawn than brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment