Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Fear Not

March 11, 2020

“Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 
This I declare about the Lord: 
He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; 
He is my God, and I trust him. 
He will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease.
His faithful promises are your armor and protection. 
Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day. 
Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness, 
nor the disaster that strikes at midday.” —Psalm 91:1-6 NLT

Fear is big business these days. Politicians thrive on it; it’s their bread and butter to call our attention to problems that according to them, only they can solve. Granted, there is no shortage of fearful things in this world. Crime, the stock market, the ever-expanding power of a bureaucratic state, the threat of war, climate change...the list is almost endless. The coronavirus presently has the whole world in a state of panic. Our governor today suspended the second half of the semester at all the state universities as of the end of March. No one yet knows what that means for students who need certain classes, or who were planning on graduation in May. 

Against all this stands the Word of God and a command to “fear not.” With all the dangers and problems of this world, let alone our personal struggles with relationships, work, finances, and health, how can this be possible? It’s really quite simple, but it’s not easy. Wherever we focus our attention will determine our peace, or lack thereof. If I dwell upon the problems of this life, fear is almost certainly guaranteed. Only when I place myself in God’s hands and focus my attention on him will I find peace. 

People are frightened about the coronavirus. It is the latest of a long line of diseases that have plagued mankind since the beginning of time. This year it’s the virus; next year, it’ll be something different. The sixth verse of this psalm says it well: “Don’t dread the disease that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday.” Why? Not because we’re guaranteed to never be sick, but because in sickness and health, in life and in death, we are God’s, and he guards our lives. 


By default, we live in fear. By choice, we live by faith. I am thankful that I have the freedom and power to choose faith today. I choose faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment