Friday, February 21, 2020

When a Plan Comes Together

February 21, 2020

Back in the 80’s there was a TV show called “The A Team,” a Mission Impossible themed series  about four military veterans who had been wrongly court-martialed, but broke out and became vigilantes in their quest to clear their names. Though there was a lot of gunfire and explosions, no one ever got seriously hurt as they improvised their way through the episodes. The leader of the group was Hannibal, played by George Peppard, whose signature line after everything worked out was, “I love it when a plan comes together.”

That’s the way I feel about a lot of things. This afternoon at jazz band rehearsal, I had to lay down a steady syncopated bossa nova beat that had a few variations in it. Latin rhythms are not my forte, so I was quite pleased when I was able to sound it out in my head then play it almost flawlessly the first time I tried it. It had a couple tricky (for me) fingerings, but I played it well enough that the conductor praised the steady foundation I gave to the band.

After supper, the grandkids watched a show on tv while I put the finishing touches on Sunday’s sermon. It’s flow had eluded me all week as I worked hard to draw out the theme that the text suggested to me. Yesterday it came to me, and today I organized my notes and plunged ahead. Typing it out only took about twenty minutes, but those twenty minutes were the culmination of hours of pondering and prayer. 


So tonight I say with Hannibal of A Team fame, “I love it when a plan comes together!”

No comments:

Post a Comment