Saturday, February 8, 2020

My Stupid List


February 8, 2020

When my wife has severe pain or nausea, she has a tendency to pass out. It thankfully doesn’t happen often, but it did occur last October when she was at a benefit dinner with some friends, one of whom is a nurse practitioner who insisted she go to the hospital. Fast forward three months, multiple doctor’s visits, an EEG and MRI of her head, and we know nothing more than we did last fall. So when fasting for a procedure last week caused her to pass out in the bathroom in the middle of the night, I wasn’t too worried. After a couple minutes of calling her name, she began to come around, and after another twenty minutes, she was able to stand and be helped back into bed. The procedure went well, no problems.

Her close encounter with the linoleum has proven to be a different story. According to the chiropractor, the fall knocked all sorts of things out of place in her back and neck, and she is quite sore. And sporting a pair of black eyes. 

Last night at our dinner group, she had nothing but praise for me, telling our friends how kind and patient I have been while caring for her through her ordeal. Praise I hardly deserve, as she would be happy to point out today. This morning, we drove to Grove City to visit our granddaughter there, and on the way she again brought up the subject saying that if there were one word to describe me, it would be “kind.” She then asked what one word I would use to describe her. Sadly, things went downhill from there when I said, “Raccoon.” For anyone interested, adding the word “cute” doesn’t improve the situation any. My being the driver at that point probably was fortuitous, in that she couldn’t do me any harm without endangering herself also.


I am thankful tonight that what could have been a serious incident has turned out to be just an inconvenience, and that I have a wife who understands my inappropriate humor and loves me anyway. I cannot imagine being married to anyone else; they’d still be looking for my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment