Saturday, November 9, 2019

Why Me?

November 9, 2019

One of the problems with the discipline of gratitude is knowing that there are so many people whose lives by comparison are filled with tragedy, sadness, suffering, and fear. How does one count blessings without feeling guilty for having received so much? I am amazed daily by all God has done for me. Linda and I were talking this morning of how free of drama our lives are. It hasn’t always been this way; we’ve experienced loss, we’ve endured betrayal and slander, we’ve had to struggle financially while raising a family. But we’ve not had to deal with the loss of a child through death or drugs. We’ve not had to work through the pain of unfaithfulness or divorce. We’ve not faced chronic or catastrophic illness. 

Some of the smoothness of our lives has been due to hard choices we’ve made through the years that have yielded dividends of peace and tranquility. Much more has been due to the grace of God for which we can give no explanation as to why us. Back in 1972, Kris Kristofferson was at a low time in his life. He attended a church service led by the Rev. Jimmie Snow, son of country legend Hank Snow. When Rev. Snow asked if anyone was feeling lost, up went Kristofferson’s hand. He met Jesus that night, and wrote the song “Why Me, Lord?” shortly thereafter. In it, he asks the question,

“Why me Lord, what have I ever done
To deserve even one
Of the pleasures I've known?
Tell me Lord, what did I ever do
That was worth loving you
Or the kindness you've shown?”

The answer of course is, “Nothing.” God’s blessings are just that; gifts of grace. Why I have received so much while others have so little, I don’t understand. I would feel guilty except for two things I’ve learned. The first came from my Cuban friend Willie Santiago, who when he speaks to American congregations, tells of the deprivations he and his countrymen have known, compared to the vast material and political blessings we take for granted. Instead of piling on the guilt in order to manipulate us to give, he says, “Enjoy your blessings. Be thankful for them. Don’t take them for granted. God has given them to you, so don’t ignore them.”

The second thing I’ve learned is the Gospel imperative that “to whom much is given, much shall be required.” I’ve been given much, not so I can revel in luxury, but so I can bless others. That’s the way God set it up, and though I don’t know why he chose to bless me as he has, I do know that the life I’ve been given is not mine to hoard and protect. It is loaned to me by God, who will one day require I give account for it. 

Mary Martin, actress who for years played Peter Pan in a television special that aired annually when I was growing up, was coming off stage from a performance when lyricist Oscar Hammerstein handed her a piece of paper. “It’s an idea for a song,” he told her. “Take a look at it and let me know what you think.” She put the paper in her pocket and hurried to change for the next act. She forgot about the note. When a short while later, Hammerstein died, she remembered, and searched through her wardrobe till she found the crumpled piece of paper. On it were written these words:

“A song is no song till you sing it;
A bell is no bell till you ring it.
The love in your heart wasn’t put there to stay,
For love isn’t love till you give it away.”


Hammerstein’s words are the answer to Kristofferson’s question. I am humbly grateful for all God has done for me. The way to show that gratitude is not merely to write about it, but also to be a giver. May I never value the gift more than the Giver, and may I never forget to give as best I can the grace, mercy, and kindness I have received through Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment