Friday, October 25, 2019

Friends’ Funerals

October 25, 2019

“When I was a young pastor, I buried a lot of old people. Now I’m burying friends.” I was talking with a few friends as we waited for jazz band to begin. One of them nodded knowingly before the conversation moved on to other things. Generally speaking, I like this stage of my life. The pressure to perform is gone; if church attendance is down, it’s not my problem. I’m as busy as I want to be, sometimes a bit more, but I can say “no” without even a twinge of guilt. As the years go by, I’ll be asked to officiate at fewer weddings and baptisms, and more funerals. They didn’t tell us about that in seminary.

It’s an honor, really, being invited into the dark and terrible home of grief. Emotions are raw, the wellsprings of tears are full to overflowing; we stand on holy ground, souls bared, and if we aren’t careful, like Peter at the Transfiguration, we blurt out inappropriate blather that breaks the spell, and the moment is over. 


As a Christian, I have the unique message of hope and life available to us through the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I do not pass the shadowy gates of death ill-equipped. Fortified by prayer, encouraged by the Word of God, I speak confidently, knowing that behind my words stands the mighty power of the Holy Spirit and the promise of Christ that “where I am, there you shall be also.” I don’t like burying friends, but am thankful to be honored with speaking at this friend’s service. May Jesus Christ be lifted high for all to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment