Monday, October 21, 2019

Choosing Praise

October 21, 2019

“I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.” So reads Psalm 34:1. There are times when such praise comes easily; it was a beautiful fall day, with blue skies topped by an unusually warm day. The foliage is in full flame; praise naturally rises from such settings. It was a difficult day, trying to help a homeless woman who resisted every attempt we made to help her. I’ve been there before, so though it was difficult, we had to let her face the consequences of her decisions. 


Evening brought news that my friend for whom we’ve been praying, passed away. I don’t understand why God heals some but not others. Many of his ways are still mysterious to me, and in times like this, praise is a choice I make even when I don’t feel like it. Tonight is part of the “all times,” and even tonight I praise God that my friend is in the presence of the Christ he served so faithfully. I don’t think he ever knew how many people he has influenced, but I made sure he knew how much he impacted me. For him, faith is now sight. For me, it’s still faith, and I trust God knows what he is doing, even when he doesn’t let me in on it, and I choose to give thanks and praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment