Saturday, October 19, 2019

Fall Ride

October 19, 2019

October skies in Western New York are not usually picture-perfect blue, framed by scarlet and orange decked trees whose branches overhang quiet country lanes, but today, that’s exactly what greeted us as we rode the backroads “just because.” Because he had raved about it last time, I had promised my friend James another ride in the sidecar, and the window of opportunity was starting to close for the season. “If the weather cooperates,” I told him, “Saturday is the day.” 

Between his schedule and mine, we didn’t have hours to ride, but we didn’t let what we couldn’t do keep us from what we could do. So we suited up and took off. The weather was perfect—sun shining brightly in an almost cloudless sky, temperatures in the low sixties, no wind. The trees were a kaleidoscope of color, patterns continually changing as we drove by. Smoke from fall’s first stove’s firings wafted through the air, one of many aromas we drove through as we moved from macadam to gravel and dirt. Although we didn’t really travel very far, it was on roads I hadn’t traversed in years, and I was amazed at the number of homes that had sprung up alongside them since I was last on them.


Thumbs-up from a group of men standing and talking by their pickup truck greeted us as we passed, earning a wave and thumbs-up from us. As we crested a hill from the east, we felt the temperature change where the sun had warmed the blacktop on the western slope, sailing down to the valley below. It was a good day, having a riding buddy for a change. I don’t often have extra weight in the sidecar; it was fun winding through the curves at speeds I wouldn’t dare risk empty, and the gravel roads are no trouble for a bike with three wheels. We finally pulled into his driveway where he thanked me. I need to thank him. I rarely get on the bike just to ride; “too much to do” is my excuse. Slowing down just to enjoy the day was just what I needed, so tonight... “Thank you, James. If weather permits, let’s do it again before the snow flies. Maybe even take in a coffee break.”

No comments:

Post a Comment