Sunday, October 20, 2019

Flu

October 20, 2019


In 1966, Bobby Fuller and his group the Bobby Fuller Four released a song that soon became somewhat of a cult classic, reappearing on oldies albums with amazing regularity. I have my own version of it for tonight’s post: “I Fought the Flu, and the Flu Won.” It’s not been pretty, but it does offer perspective. I don’t often get sick, and each trip to the bathroom last night and today caused me to reflect on so many of my friends who are receiving chemotherapy. Just about the time they start feeling well, it’s time for another infusion which they know will make them nauseous all over again. My little bout with the flu is penny-ante compared to what others experience, and I am grateful tonight that this is but a minor irritation. I’m grateful too, for the fortitude, courage, and determination I see in so many people whose misfortunes are far worse than mine. They are heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment