Friday, November 2, 2018

The Dare

November 2, 2018

Sometimes it’s worth it to dare someone to do something out of character. I’m not talking about anything illegal or immoral, just something that stretches the imagination. I won’t say exactly what the dare was, but Linda took me up on it, to my great amusement. Anyone who thinks she is staid and stolid had better take a second look! She continually amazes me. 

Last month she took a weekend road trip with a friend to Massachusetts. Do you know how much she hates riding? Of course today she revealed that the problem is me. I’m not a talker. At least, I don’t keep up a steady stream of verbiage, which is apparently what she wants when traveling. That doesn’t work for me. In order to have a stream of consciousness conversation, one has to have a stream of consciousness. Mine is more like a dried up rivulet. I can drive for hours with only my disconnected thoughts to keep me company in between long periods of only latent brainwave activity. Linda’s brain is filled with supercharged neurons firing like they’re hopped up on double-caff espresso.

We spent the day wandering around Vidler’s in East Aurora, taking a side trip to Holland to a stove shop, then enjoying dinner together at Tony Rome’s, followed by Sectional Swim Meet. The day was filled with laughter and deep pleasure in each other’s company, a change from the everyday work that we welcomed as nourishment for our souls.


The Fourth Commandment was reiterated by Jesus when he said the Sabbath was made for man, not the other way around. We need the rhythm of rest if we are to avoid spiritual and emotional sterility. We found that today, and I am thankful. And she took the dare!

No comments:

Post a Comment