Monday, September 25, 2017

Sovereignty and Free Will

September 25, 2017

“Thanks a lot! My head hurts!” That’s how my friend Harry characterized tonight’s men’s Bible study. We somehow strayed from the text we were studying and like someone asleep at the wheel, drifted across the center lane into the theological differences between Calvinists and Arminians, of God’s sovereignty and human free will. Both pastor Joe and I have both Calvinist and Wesleyan roots, but approach the issue from slightly different angles, which makes for some interesting conversations.

The long and short of it is that if God didn’t draw us to himself in grace, there’s no way we would come of our own free will. And yet, that free will must be operative for us to respond in repentance and love; without free will, love cannot by definition exist. If everything were predetermined (which is itself a pagan, not a Christian concept), love dissolves into a mechanical cause and effect. If love isn’t freely chosen, it cannot be love. 

I for one, am grateful that God in his mercy reached out to me in Christ, offering the gift of salvation. I responded in repentance and faith, and he began a good work in me which he promises he will continue to do throughout my life (Philippians 1:6). By the power of his Holy Spirit, Jesus is holding on to me, promising never to let go of my hand (John 10:28-29), which is a good thing, because there have been many times I’ve let go of his hand. Do I have a choice in the matter? Of course I do! I can choose to walk away, and have at times done so, but God faithfully keeps drawing me back, beckoning me with the love proven in the Cross of Christ (Romans 5:8). 


I’ve told the story before, but it bears repeating. Once, when I had again stumbled over the same sin that had repeatedly tripped me up before, I prayed in frustration, “God, if I were you, I’d be SO done with me!” The words weren’t audible, but God spoke them loud and clear to my heart: “Aren’t you glad I’m not you?” Yes, I am. I most certainly am!

No comments:

Post a Comment