Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Pain

September 5, 2017

Nobody knew in ancient times what caused it. All they knew was that this dreaded disease ended life as they knew it for those infected. Sufferers were stigmatized, ostracized, segregated from healthy society, often forced into colonies in deserted areas or on remote islands. In ancient Jewish law, a person so afflicted was separated from others, and if passing by a healthy person, had to cover their upper lip like Dracula’s cape, and cry out, “Unclean! Unclean!” Leprosy was a terrible disease that included deformity and often the slow loss of extremities. It was believed that the flesh simply rotted away, but modern medicine tells a different story.

Today it’s known as Hanson’s Disease; caused by a bacterium and spread airborne through the coughing and sneezing of the infected person. It attacks the nerves, killing their capacity to transmit the feeling of pain. The loss of fingers, toes, and even entire hands and feet isn’t due to the disease itself, but is a result of the sufferer not being able to tell when they are being burned or cut. Someone with this disease untreated can pick up a red hot iron and not feel anything. It isn’t until they see the blood flow or smell the burning flesh that the sufferer knows of the injury. Infection often sets in, causing the deformity and loss of extremities.

No one likes to suffer pain. We do all we can to alleviate it, both for ourselves, and for others. But pain serves a purpose. It’s a warning that all is not well. Without pain, we would always be injuring ourselves, with tragic consequences. 


I was reminded of this when I cut my finger today. It was such a slight injury that I didn’t even notice it when it first happened. I noticed it when I cut a tomato for a sandwich this evening. The acid made me sit up and take notice. I’ll notice it again tomorrow when I have to use that finger to press down the strings on my bass. But it’s still no big deal. But were I unable to feel pain, even playing the bass could become problematic. It’s pain that tells me my fingers have had enough for one day. Tonight I am thankful for the pain that protects us from ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment