Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Post Career Joy

September 12, 2017

Getting up at 5:30 is not a priority of mine in retirement, but today, I’m glad I did. A stop at Tim Horton’s for coffee, muffins, and bagels gave me the added benefit of a delightful conversation with Lisa, one of our children’s workers at the Wrap, our before and after school ministry. Then prayer and conversation with some Dunkirk area pastors whose vision for the city is inspiring. 


Father Dan is priest at Holy Trinity RC church in Dunkirk. He’s in his seventies, with a constant smile; joy simply radiates from him. Coupled with his compassion for those suffering from addiction, poverty, or health issues and his passion for the Gospel and the unity of the Church, he inspires me to press on and lean in to the ministry God has given me. I never anticipated work like this when I retired; in fact, I didn’t really want it, but the people God has brought into my life in these last seven weeks have worked their way into my heart and given me a retirement purpose I never imagined. These Dunkirk folks inspire and energize me, and for that and for them, I am thankful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment