Monday, September 18, 2017

I Said I'd Never...

September 18, 2017

What was I thinking? I’ve asked myself that question more than once in the past couple weeks. Back in July when asked if I were willing to fill in a couple Sundays for a congregation that had unexpectedly lost their pastor, I agreed, but on the condition that I do more than pop in and out on Sundays. August came and went; September was supposed to bring a permanent solution which unfortunately, didn’t materialize. So the District Superintendent asked if I would be able to stay on for awhile. Again, I agreed, but only if certain somewhat unorthodox conditions were met. Doggone if the bishop didn’t agree to my conditions!

So here I am, in a place I said I’d never be in retirement, preaching again. For awhile. At least until January. It amazes me how in such a short time people can wriggle their way into one’s heart. What I said I’d never do, I’m doing. With a glad and thankful heart. It’s a challenge that gets the blood flowing. Not sure what we’re going to do, or how to turn things around, but faithfully proclaiming the Holy Scriptures will be central to it all. Beyond that, we’ll just have to see what God has in store. Whatever it is, I am looking forward to it, thankful for the opportunity God has dumped in my lap. Christians often talk of finding God’s will. I didn’t have to find it; it found me.


No comments:

Post a Comment