Monday, August 8, 2016

Toilet Tales

August 8, 2016

5:30 am Friday morning I climbed the stairs to our bedroom, ready for some fitful sleep after flying and driving through the night. Reaching the landing, I noticed a post-it note on the bathroom door: "Don't Use Toilet," it said. Linda rolled over as I climbed into bed, and I asked about the note. "It's a long story; I'll tell you when you get up."

Later, I heard all about it. The short story is, the toilet paper cylinder wasn't where it should have been, and multi-tasking isn't all it's cracked up to be. I am a lucky man. If you pay any attention to television commercials and programs, if anything dumb is done, it's a man doing it. In our house, we strive to balance the equation.

Today was fix it day, so after a leisurely morning reading and praying, I decided it was time to tackle the project. Removing and reinstalling a toilet is not usually a major project, and fortunately today I managed to avoid my normal pattern of a simple half hour job taking three days. The worse part is sponging the water out of the bowl, but it's gotta be done, and when I turned it over, there it was, stuck in the curve of the toilet trap. Thankfully, it hadn't separated on its short journey through the curves. A light poke, and it popped back into the bowl where I could fish it out.

Later, walking from the garage to the house and casting my eyes across the landscape in front of me, gratitude welled up within me for the beauty I am privileged to inhabit, toilet and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment