Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Privilege of Preaching

August 14, 2016

The right tool for the job is a beautiful thing. A crescent wrench is handy, but it can't compete with a 3/8" wrench for a 3/8" bolt. The wrench and the bolt were made for each other, much as I was made for preaching. I'm not the greatest of preachers by any means, but something inside me has always said, "this fits." It fit for me this morning as I did my best to speak to the issue of unanswered prayer. No matter how we try to understand it, there is a mystery to it that is in this life impenetrable, but there is also a grace available for those persistent enough to wrestle through what St. John of the Cross called "the dark night of the soul" without losing faith.

Worship is something different for those who lead it than for those in the congregation. The privilege of playing my bass for the worship team, preaching God's Word, and then offering God's people Christ in Communion is a rare gift for which I am grateful tonight. Doing it twice in one day takes it to an even higher level, especially when I recall that as St. Paul said, "who is sufficient for these things? Our sufficiency is in Christ." I don't deserve the privilege I've been given over the past forty six years, and to be given the opportunity to continue in retirement is beyond blessing. Thank you, Jesus, for allowing me once more to do what I have loved for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment