Saturday, February 14, 2015

WNY Winter

February 14, 2015

"On this day in 269, Valentine was beheaded for helping the persecuted church and for marrying Christian couples." So begins a post for today by my friend Cameron, highlighting the chasm between the sources and present reality of many of our culture's customs. It's been a quiet day down on the farm, such as it is; all two and a half acres of it. Everything here is buried under at least two feet of snow, and it's still coming down steadily. I've already seen postings of church cancellations for tomorrow. Since I'm retired, I don't make the call anymore, but I'm not seeing any reason to call it off. If people aren't comfortable coming out in whatever weather we have, they won't come, but there's always a few crazies ready to battle the elements.

In over 40 years of preaching, I only remember canceling Sunday worship once, in 1983. It was Christmas Day, and I had so much looked forward to worshipping on Christmas morning, but the snowplow never even went by our front door until after 11:00 am. We couldn't get out, and people couldn't get in. The worse part of it was that just a few weeks before, I had called my mother to let us know we wouldn't be coming for Christmas Day that year, and it wasn't a happy time. Had I known we'd be snowed in, I'd have spared myself the tears. We had been in the habit of getting up Christmas morning, letting the kids open their presents, then spend most of the day in the car, running to Rochester and Frewsburg in succession, to spend time with our folks. This was the year we decided to change all that. We ended up shoveling snow for some elderly folks in the community. Merry Christmas to us!

The forecast is for a high of -8F tomorrow, so it's going to be an interesting day. I blew out the driveway about 3 pm, but it probably needs doing again. It'll have to wait till tomorrow. It's dark; I'm inside and warm, and content to leave it at that. I've read some of the weather related complaints on Facebook, but I figure, if you don't like winter, you shouldn't live in Western New York. It's probably not the best time to visit, either. But for those of us who call this home, it's just another day, and one for which I give thanks. I pray for those who must be outside, clearing roads, driving rescue vehicles, and patrolling the roadways. There's been a fatal accident on I-90 not too far from us, and there are those who must travel tonight. As I give thanks for a warm home, I also offer prayers for those in need. May God protect them this night.

No comments:

Post a Comment