Sunday, February 8, 2015

Birthday Blessings

February 8, 2015

This morning when I dragged myself out of bed, I didn't plan on going to church. After two days of coughing and hacking, it didn't appear to be getting enough better to risk infecting everyone. So when Linda left to have breakfast with Matt and the kids, I figured I'd be going back to bed. Except I needed a shower to wash off the overnight creepiness I was feeling. By the time I finished my shower, it dawned on me that I was feeling pretty good. I wasn't coughing, didn't have any major aches, couldn't think of a reason to stay home. In fact, I couldn't see trading the privilege of worshipping with the Park church people for watching some TV preacher. That's like swapping filet mignon for green baloney; why would I? So at 8:19 by the bathroom clock, I started getting dressed, and was able to walk in the church by 8:30, ready to worship. I was not disappointed.

Even though I couldn't sing worth beans today, I was able to croak my way through the songs and lift heart and hands in praise. I joined others who prayed for our New York City mission team, heard the Word of God proclaimed, and received communion with its accompanying words of grace and forgiveness. I had conversations with brothers and sisters, met a new friend, hugged old ones. I left challenged and invigorated. My week had begun the way it was supposed to begin; I am off to a good start.

If that weren't enough, after worship, the family met at the White Horse Inn for Linda and Jeanine's birthday celebrations. Usually we meet a bit later in the month, but the coordinating calendars didn't permit it this time. Linda's birthday is one of my favorite days of the year, and not merely because it's the birthday of the one I love. It is the day we get to reminisce over the previous year with the girls' annual photographic summary of the year. For those who don't know, our daughter in law Debbra is a professional photographer in addition to her teaching duties, and each January, she, Jeanine, and Jessie compile a photo essay of the previous year and has it bound into a beautiful hard cover coffee table style book for Linda's birthday. It is a beautiful gift that we turn to often just to remind ourselves of the manifold blessings of God.

It's not without its bittersweet moments. This year's album began with a tribute to Linda's mother, who died last New Year's Eve. This is the first book without her images interspersed throughout the year. There were photos of Bruce, and of the Katilus family, who have moved on and out of our daily lives. All these remain in our hearts, and I thought today that this is the first Linda birthday in a long time that hasn't included Bob and Bri and their children at our table. And yet, most of the photos are of happy times, with laughter and smiles all around. No family is happy all the time, and we are no exception. We have our moments when we get irritated with each other; times when we have to grit our teeth and push through or step back. But mostly, we really do get along well. We actually like each other, like spending time together. Linda's birthday is a time to remember, and to count our blessings. Actually, I've lost count, and that itself is something for which to give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment