Thursday, February 19, 2015

Giving Thanks in All Things

February 19, 2015

The Bible tells us to give thanks in everything. I'm trying. No; I am doing it! In January, we spent a small fortune repairing the furnace in our Cassadaga house. The very part that was replaced failed again, and with the cold snap we've had, all the pipes froze. It's a hot water baseboard system, and today the repairman was at it again, replacing the replacement part, and trying to get everything up and running. He was partly successful, getting two of the four zones operational. But the other two zones that provide heat to the apartment and our bedroom suite are frozen. Until they get thawed out, we won't know if there is any damage to the system itself.

In the meantime, we managed to thaw some of the water supply for sinks and tubs. One leak we can't find, and suspect it's behind the shower that we had fixed last summer. The other is spraying all over the apartment kitchen floor. Unfortunately, we can't find the shut off for it. For now, the mains are off, so it should calm down until I can get it capped later tomorrow. It's not a big job, but with a funeral looming, my attention is necessarily elsewhere. Terry the repairman says "It's a mess." But he's keeping his fingers crossed, and I'm praying.

So what is there in all this for which to be thankful? First, so far, all the leaks have been on the first floor, which means there is no ceiling to collapse or drywall to replace. So far. Second, Colburns were able to locate the part we needed. It was scheduled to be shipped to a supplier, but only as a restock item. They diverted it to our emergency situation. Third, although this is going to cost us a bundle, we are much more able to absorb it than we would have been a few years ago. It's a setback, but not a disaster. Fourth, Terry is still on the job. He is 66, and thought of retiring, but he came and worked overtime to get us as operational as he could. I'm glad he didn't retire yet. Fifth, I'm not fretting about it. I've lived long enough to learn that it doesn't help, and that even in stuff like this, God is in control. Sixth, if this is the worst thing I ever have to face, I will be a blessed man. I am officiating at two funerals this weekend, both for people who are gone before their time. I'll be attending funerals or visitation for two others before Monday is out. I have a few leaky pipes. These folks are leaking tears. Seventh, my house here in Sinclairville is warm and dry. Well, except for the half inch pipe that is spitting water in the basement. I'm trusting that it won't turn into a gusher before tomorrow when I can get to fixing it.

Have I got troubles? Yes, I do. But I also have a Savior, a wife who loves me, a warm home, family, and enough financial resources to handle all that has come my way this week. Including my truck. My mechanic hasn't even told me yet what that's going to cost! But I am still thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment