Wednesday, January 28, 2015

God's Second-Greatest Gift

January 28, 2015

It's after midnight; I just finished the first draft of the major assignment for my seminary class on Supervision, so my mind is a bit foggy. But there is one thing crystal clear to me right now: I am so deeply grateful for my wife. The assignment was a ministry reflection report, where an incident in the life of the church is chosen for analysis and review. It's not easy dredging up painful memories, and my heart and mind are wearied by it. But this afternoon, Linda and I took some time to go cross-country skiing around the perimeter of our property. It doesn't take long; we have to make the loop a few times to make it worthwhile, but being outside, doing something together was pure joy for me. And tonight, remembering how she stood by me in the darkness when she too, was hurting, is evidence of God's goodness and grace to me. While I write, I can feel the rise and fall of her breathing as she sleeps beside me. It's a good feeling, and I can say with complete truthfulness that my life is better, and I am better, because she is my wife. She is, outside of Jesus Christ and his gift of saving grace, my greatest treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment