Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Generations of Music

January 14, 2015

Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. One of my earliest memories is of my grandmother playing her little spinet piano, singing along, then jumping up and dancing a jig, then back to the piano for more music. My father taught himself the button accordion and often played his venerable 'gut bucket,' a homemade bass made from an old wooden barrel, a broomstick, and clothesline. We did a lot of singing as I was growing up, from impromptu family singalongs to church choirs and quartets. I played tenor saxophone and bassoon in the high school concert band and baritone sax in the dance band, and taught myself basic guitar at fifteen.

The wind instruments got put away after college, and it wasn't until many years later that I picked up the guitar again when we began a contemporary worship service. I graduated to bass guitar, where it looks like I'll be for awhile. Right now, I play bass for the church, and for a community jazz ensemble, and am looking forward to getting back to the bassoon for concert band.

Music is a lot on my mind at the moment, as I've been selling some instruments on Ebay for my sister. They belonged to her late husband Rich. It's sad letting go of instruments in this way; they're not just wood and string, but pieces of his life that we held onto for awhile, but have to let go even as we released him to God a few years ago.

Tonight we attended our granddaughters' band concert at Panama school. The kids did a wonderful job as the music lifted throughout the auditorium. Good music is a gift from God. The Bible tells us that David played his harp to soothe Saul's troubled spirit, and gives us the Psalms to sing in the night. The prophet Zephaniah even goes so far as to declare that God rejoices over us with singing. Imagine that: God sings over us!

I didn't always appreciate having to practice my instruments as a teenager, but I am so very grateful that my folks didn't let me give up on it. I will never be very good at it, but it has enriched my life, giving me an appreciation for melody, harmony, rhythm, and lyrics. Some people think deep thoughts when their minds aren't occupied with life's concerns. Me? I don't have conversations in my head; instead, melodies constantly pour through my mind. I've been able to express some of my deepest feelings in songs I've written, and been blessed to share them in worship. Music gives me one more connection with my grandchildren, and with countless wonderful people who share their gifts with the rest of us. Best of all is the privilege of lifting hearts and voices to God in return for his manifold kindness to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment