Monday, August 18, 2014

Graffiti Gratitude

August 18, 2014

Yesterday afternoon, Linda and I took a stroll down to Sunnyside, the village swimming hole located on our property. We talked with Misty, a woman whom we often see fishing in the pool at the bottom of the falls. After talking for a few minutes, she became visibly upset and said, "There's something you need to see." She led us down to the water and pointed across the creek to the bridge abutment on the other side. Someone had spray painted some rather obscene graffiti on it. It's too bad there are those who feel the need to vandalize public property. It wouldn't bother me so much except that the swimming hole is frequented by little kids, and that we planned on holding a baptism there Sunday afternoon. At first, I was quite irritated, but later as I drove to a premarital counseling session and a speaking engagement, I began to pray for the perpetrators, something I might not have thought to do even a few months ago. This discipline of giving thanks seems to be having repercussions that pop up all over the place in my life.

A little graffiti on a bridge is pretty small stuff compared to the rioting going on in Ferguson, MO; and doesn't even show up on the radar when compared to the genocidal campaign by ISIS against the Christian communities of Iraq, but it is indicative of the selfish, narcissistic, and lawless mindset of our age. That those who did this know it was wrong is evident by the fact that it was done on the sly, when no one was around. Graffiti "artists" like to operate in obscurity for good reason.

I wonder who they are and what motivates them to spray such stuff in a place known to be frequented by children. What kind of perverse satisfaction is behind such actions? It's not some guy trying to impress his girlfriend by spraying "Bill loves Bonnie" on a railroad overpass. It's not even gangs marking their territories. Never having engaged in such stuff myself, I can only speculate, which won't do anyone any good. Praying however, might. So again tonight I'll pray for these kids, and tomorrow I'll begin working on removing or painting over the offensive artwork. While I'm doing so, I'll pray some more, not only for the perpetrator, but also that my own heart doesn't become hard towards those who've not had the advantages I've had nor known the Savior I've known. And I'll pray for those to be baptized Sunday. Two of my grandchildren are at the top of the list, and I'm looking forward to having this privilege of formally welcoming them into the family of God. For that, I definitely give thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment