Thursday, June 15, 2023

Stand

 June 15, 2023

This word “stand” has been on my mind for some time now. I don’t know why it hasn’t caught my attention before, but I’m seeing it everywhere in Scripture, and seeing things in a new light. 


Psalm 135:1-2 reads, 


“Praise the Lord! 

Praise the name of the Lord; 

Praise Him, O you servants of the Lord! 

You who stand in the house of the Lord, 

In the courts of the house of our God,”


The only time I’ve ever had a servant is when I’ve gone to a fine restaurant for lunch or dinner. We are seated, but the servers are always standing, ready to do my bidding. If you’ve ever watched an English manor house mystery, you’ve seen servants standing just out of the way, ready to bring the next course or refill the wine goblets. Servants don’t sit in the presence of the lord of the manor.


When I think of standing in God’s presence, my first thought is that of worship, but the verb most associated with worship is “to bow down.” Whenever we read of God’s people worshipping, they are bowed, often with face to the ground. When they stand, it means worship has done its job of preparing us for service. In worship, we tune our hearts to God’s heart, learning his perspective and assimilating his values. Only when that has happened are we ready to stand and serve. Serving before worship too easily confuses our own will and priorities with God’s.


Having bowed in worship, we stand in praiseworthy service. So as Psalm 95:6 says, “Come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker.” And when we rise, may it be to stand, ready to do his every bidding.


No comments:

Post a Comment