Friday, September 2, 2022

A Pierced Ear

 September 2, 2022

The first detailed explanation of the Ten Commandments comes in Exodus 21, and deals with the slave/master relationship and the conditions of manumission. After serving six years, the slave must be set free, but if he wants to stay with the master, he is taken to a doorpost where his ear is pierced by an awl. It is a physical demonstration of his loyalty and of the master’s good treatment of him. 


Psalm 40:6-8 offers a subtle commentary on this custom:


“Sacrifice and offering You did not desire; My ears You have opened. Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require. Then I said, “Behold, I come; In the scroll of the book it is written of me. I delight to do Your will, O my God, And Your law is within my heart.””


At first glance, it is a declaration of God’s work in the psalmist’s life. God doesn’t want sacrifices and offerings as much as he wants people with open ears, ie. people who listen. But when the verse continues, we discover that it is a Messianic prophecy speaking of Jesus (Hebrews 10:7). Jesus willingly served his Father, offering himself as the perfect sacrifice for our sins. Figuratively speaking, he stood at the doorpost while his ear was pierced, being obedient even unto death on the cross.


This is also for you and me. Have I willingly given myself to the Father, opening my ears to his voice, but also placing my ear on the doorpost to say, “I am yours forever?” God is looking for a servant’s heart. My ears he has opened; I’m listening with my ear pressed to the doorpost, ready to serve him forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment