Saturday, May 7, 2022

Restlessness

 


May 7, 2022


Linda was almost freaking out. A woman from our church had called her up saying, “The Lord told me you had a message for me from him.” 


“Well, he didn’t let me know about it!” she responded, and later to me, she added, “What am I supposed to say?” This having happened back in the ‘70s, I can’t remember what I told her, but things haven’t changed much in the nearly fifty years since. Preachers and prophets (often self-proclaimed) often claim Holy Spirit authority for their various pronouncements and proclamations. They say things like, “The Holy Spirit spoke to me about…” or, “The Spirit is moving powerfully here…” It is always possible, but it is also always possible to be deceived by the inner working of our own will and desires. 


I’ve been reading in the book of Hebrews, today in chapter 3, verse 7: “Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says…” He goes on to quote Psalm 95:7-11. The only sure “witness of the Spirit” is the Word of God. It is through the Scriptures that the Holy Spirit speaks assuredly and unfailingly. And when he speaks, he often does so with words similar to those found here, warning of the danger of unbelief hardening our hearts. 


One of the tests of the state of my heart is the very condition stated here, ie. restlessness. The unbelief of the Israelites kept them from entering God’s rest—“You shall not enter my rest.” (v. 11). There is a lot of restlessness in the world today, even in the Church. Many are in a continual panic over all sorts of things. We are restless; we HAVE to be busy; we are so jittery we can’t even take a full Sabbath. We are as Jeremiah says, “like the restless waves of the sea,” never still.


The work of the Holy Spirit always brings an end to our restlessness. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit “will testify of me.” (John 15:26), and “he will glorify me.” (16:14). Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27) 


The Holy Spirit always points us to Jesus Christ, who gives peace to the restless heart. Which begs the question: “What does the state of my rest or restlessness reveal about the work of the Holy Spirit in me? If I am troubled, I must, as Hebrews 3:7-11 says, turn to the Word of God which through the Holy Spirit, points me to Jesus, who replaces my restlessness with peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment