Saturday, May 28, 2022

God Hears

 May 28, 2022

“Blessed be the LORD because he has heard the voice of my supplications.” Psalm 28:6. The psalm begins, “I will cry out to You, O LORD my Rock! Do not be silent to me.” For four verses he prays to be heard, then in v.5, he proclaims his faith by declaring that there is a divine cause and effect: “Because they do not regard the works of the LORD…he shall destroy them.”


The writer is trusting God to do justly, to uphold his Word of promise. On this basis, he then declares his faith that God has already heard his prayer because it is in line with God’s character. This prayer is no wistful hope that somehow things will turn out right. It is a calling upon God to be true to his character, and confidence that he will do so.


He ends his prayer in praise for what he knows is already done. In a devotional this morning, my friend Beth Burden said it well: “The devil doesn’t know what to do with our praise in times of trouble. It confuses him.” So in my prayers, I praise because when I pray according to God’s character, he always hears…and saves. 


“Blessed be the Lord, Because He has heard the voice of my supplications! The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song I will praise Him.”


So with what song shall I praise him? (V.7). I think it’s significant when he says, “My heart trusted in him and I am helped. Therefore my heart rejoices.” He didn’t say anything about his head; only his heart. When I look at circumstances logically, they often don’t make sense. It’s sometimes hard for the head to trust. But when the heart trusts, the head eventually must follow, and then the heart can rejoice while the head is still trying to figure out what’s going on. So sing, heart of mine! Sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment