Monday, December 7, 2020

Service

 December 7, 2020


Like exercising, sobriety, or eating healthy, gratitude is a lifestyle, but like exercising, sobriety, and eating healthy, gratitude takes discipline. It’s easy to fall off the wagon. Just as a sedentary lifestyle’s siren allure calls to us, or that one drink when we’re stressed, or that one piece of chocolate cake, the problems and cares of this world can catch our attention and capture our hearts if we aren’t diligent in pursuing gratitude. I began the day working out, eating breakfast, then reading my Bible. The first two activities had noticeable effect. I was winded and sore from working out, and full from breakfast. My Bible reading however, didn’t seem to do much, and that never bodes well for the day. 


Things went well enough. I installed insulation in our laundry room, and picked up some coroplast to insulate my beehives, watched a show with Linda, had dinner, and went to rehearsal for worship team, then men’s Bible study. It was a decent enough day, but I felt no particular sense of gratitude, grace, or peace. My morning time in the Scriptures didn’t really help. I was reading about the Transfiguration, and the thing that stood out to me was that only Peter, James, and John experienced it. None of the other disciples. It seems that some lofty spiritual experiences aren’t meant for all. Talk about deflating one’s hopes! 


It all came together at men’s Bible study. It is another discipline that I don’t always feel like doing, but am glad I did. Just being with these guys is a boost. I am pretty much of an introvert, and could easily hide away in my own little world. These men keep me engaged, and pastor Joe’s integrity and intensity is inspiring. We were challenged tonight to state where we are serving. After having been a pastor for forty years, serving in retirement seems a bit anemic. It doesn’t often feel like I’m doing much, so the question is doubly important. Like those disciplines of exercise, sobriety, or healthy diet, it’s easy to take it easy in retirement, but the result of doing so is a sick soul. The venue changes, but the heart had better not. I had to take a hard look at my level of service for Christ, and know I need to up my game.


So tonight, I am thankful for these men, for pastor Joe, and as I remember this date, for the sacrifice of those sailors who received the first shock at Pearl Harbor in 1941. We face different, but as great challenges today. The world needs more men who are willing to serve at any cost. I am grateful to be surrounded by some of the best. They challenge me to be a better man, and for that, I am thankful tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment