Thursday, December 31, 2020

Out with the Old

 December 31, 2020

People everywhere tonight are giddily bidding farewell to 2020 in full expectation that 2021 HAS to be better. I hope it will be, but trusting that a change in the numbers on a calendar will automatically bring better circumstances is a pretty thin thread upon which to tie our futures. I’ve said it before: 2021 is not our savior. Only Jesus.


This past year has taught me much about myself, some of which I highlighted in last Sunday’s sermon. I would like to think I am a man of faith, trusting implicitly in God. Sunday’s sermon was taken from the infancy narrative of Matthew 2, where the wise men came looking for the new king. I noted that there were three main players in the story: the magi, Herod, and the priests and scribes. Jesus came unexpectedly into their world, throwing their carefully crafted life plans out the window. The magi had planned, prepared, and persevered through a long desert trek to find the Baby, only to discover he wasn’t where they expected. They recognized Opportunity, and faced it.


Herod’s domain, his authority was suddenly challenged by the appearance of these men, but even more by the birth of this Child. He recognized Danger and fought it.


The priests and scribes knew the Scriptures and were able to quote them to the Magi, but were so wrapped up in their academic and religious world they recognized Nothing, and faked it.


My question to the congregation was simple: “Where are you in this story?” I would like to think I’m the Magi, overcoming all obstacles in my quest for Jesus, but this last year has revealed that more often than not, I’m like Herod, chafing and railing against what God is doing, because he challenges my authority and control in life. And if I’m not mimicking Herod, I’m like the priests and scribes, oblivious to what God is doing in spite of having the Scriptures at my disposal. 


Like many, I’ve grumbled and groused my way through 2020, refusing to surrender my throne, instead of adjusting my compass to unceasingly seek Christ. I don’t know what 2021 will bring, but I do know Who brings it, and am ending this year praying for more wisdom and grace to be more like the Magi and less like Herod, the priests, and the scribes. I want to seek...and find the Christ, because only the Magi went home “another way”—changed by having met and worshipped the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment