Saturday, December 5, 2020

Necessary Grace

 December 5, 2020


Surveying the room this afternoon, I’m not sure I’d be able to do it. The Bailey Christmas is somewhat abbreviated this year, with the Rochester cousins being unable to join us due to our governor’s designation of the Rochester area as a particularly hot zone for COVID, but they sent their contribution so Southern Tier clan was able to shop to bless two less fortunate area families. I watched as the kids and grandkids wrapped, laughing and chattering with each other, experiencing the joy of giving with no thought of return.


My mind returned to yesterday’s Scripture reading where the widow was asked to provide for this stranger named Elijah before doing so for herself and her son. This wasn’t an ordinary dinner; she expected it would be their last. This morning, the following chapter (1 Kings 18) related the confrontation between Elijah and the 400 priests of Baal on Mt. Carmel. Their frenzied prayers accompanied by cutting themselves to demonstrate their earnestness accomplished nothing. No fire from heaven descended to consume their offering. 


Up steps Elijah, offering a simple prayer that was immediately answered by a lightning strike that not only consumed the offering, but the altar itself. Prior to this prayer however, Elijah makes sure the people know he isn’t up to some chicanery with a hidden source of ignition; he soaks the altar with barrels of water. There is more to the story than the miracle of the fire of God burning up the waterlogged offering. The land had been experiencing a drought—three years with not a drop of rain. Three barrels of water would have been a precious commodity, something one wouldn’t waste carelessly. Pouring it out over the altar was itself an act of bold faith. If God didn’t do something, not only would Elijah look foolish, he would likely have been lynched for his crazy extravagance. 


First the widow woman, then Elijah are commanded to risk everything for God. And as I looked around the room at my family, I was humbled and challenged by their obedience. I hope God never asks me to sacrifice my family for Christ’s sake. Many of his faithful followers have had to do just that, and I yield to such deep faith while pondering where I would draw the line. Anywhere short of the Cross is too soon, requiring a grace I have not yet been given because it is not yet needed. I thank him for grace given as needed, and pray for more when the need arises.


No comments:

Post a Comment