Sunday, January 5, 2020

Reading, Making, Seeing

January 5, 2020

SOMETHING I’M READING, MAKING, SEEING

1.  Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7 challenges me every time I read it. Last week, a man was shot and killed by security in a church in Texas after pulling out a shotgun and fatally shooting two church members. Subsequently, the media has exploded with commentary, either extolling the virtues of stricter gun control laws, or of broader concealed carry so would-be murderers might have second thoughts, not knowing who might be shooting back. My personal inclination is with the gun rights people. Gun free zones have proven to be death traps. Most mass shootings occur in them, and contrary to media predictions, the proliferation of concealed carry permits hasn’t resulted in a bloodbath.

That being said, when I run up against the teachings of Jesus in this sermon, I see words that challenge my natural inclination for self-protection and protecting my family and loved ones. Jesus starts out with “blessed are the meek,” moves on to warning against anger (v.22), agreeing with our adversary lest we be accused, judged, and sentenced (v.25), to turning the other cheek (v.39), to loving our enemies and praying for those who misuse us (v44). It could be argued that such advice is what one would be wise to do when operating from a position of subjugation and weakness. Responding with violence rarely turns out well when one is only able to bring a knife to a gun fight. Nevertheless, even though I do not live in a condition of subjugation, or perhaps because of it, refraining from retaliation, or non-violence (as MLK taught) can be an effective method of responding to violence. Jesus’ words grate against my soul, which is probably a good thing. At the very least, it means I’m still listening, still struggling with the demands of the Gospel, and for that I give thanks. It means the Holy Spirit hasn’t given up on me.

2. I’m cheating a bit on this one. Technically, I haven’t started making it, but I did buy the supplies as a Christmas gift for Linda. Her desk chair is an antique with a caned seat that disintegrated some years ago. The framework under it is all that enables her to sit in it with the aid of a pillow, so I thought it would be nice to fix it for her. I bought the cane, and as soon as I finish a time-sensitive project that has priority, I will tackle this job. Never having done it before, it will be a challenge, but is nothing I can’t handle. I am grateful to be able to do things like this. I know people whose arthritic hands don’t allow them such luxuries.

3.  My vision is presently a bit cloudy, but I expect it to begin clearing up as I work my way through my son’s “Ready, Set, Dream” course at church. A number of people have worked their way through the process of identifying their dreams and abilities as a foundation for engaging in that part of God’s work that ignites their passion for ministry. When I retired, I thought I had a pretty good idea how I would invest my retirement years, but so far, most of those plans haven’t materialized. I thought I would be spending much more time in Cuba working with pastors and friends there, but since the untimely death of my friend Joel, I’ve felt a bit unsettled about the direction our work in Cuba is to take. He saw possibilities that eluded me, and had the training to bring it to fruition. I’m only a pastor. I know how to preach, but I’m not the organizer and visionary Joel was. 


Since retirement, when it comes to a life-purpose, it has often felt as if I were walking through a fog. I’ve kept busy, hopefully with good and worthwhile investment of my energies, but I don’t think I’ve hit my retirement stride. I am expecting my son’s class combined, with an impending mission trip, to help me see more clearly. I am grateful tonight for the hope this gives, and the possibilities that lie before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment