Thursday, May 30, 2019

In Kathmandu


May 30, 2019

I stood in the window of the hotel looking out across the rooftops of neighboring homes with the Himalayas rising out of the mist in the distance. Kathmandu. The very name conjures up exotic images from old Hollywood thrillers and romances. Reality is somewhat different; pollution from poorly maintained vehicles makes the eyes water and smart. Even new construction often looks old and decrepit. But there is a fascination with a culture so different. The only remaining Hindu monarchy in the world back then, Communist insurgents were threatening Nepalese sovereignty in the countryside, waiting for the opportune time to openly challenge the government in the capital.

As prayer flags fluttered in the breeze and the sun slowly rose over the horizon, a pretty young woman appeared on the flat rooftop of the house before me. Her arms were full of laundry, while more hung on clotheslines strung from poles behind her. She dropped the laundry on the roof and poured water into a tub. Sipping my morning’s coffee, I was mesmerized, witnessing local customs up close and personal.

She looked right at me, smiled, and stepped into the tub. Keeping her eyes fixed on mine, suddenly she dropped her sari and stood before me completely naked. Like a lightening bolt, there flashed through my mind the story of David and Bathsheba, and I turned away, choking on my coffee. 

In the Biblical story, king David saw the beautiful Bathsheba bathing on a rooftop. He did not avert his eyes. He sent for her, sexually assaulted her, tried in vain to cover up her resulting pregnancy, and when his maneuvering failed, had her husband killed. The Bible states God’s response quite plainly: “The thing that David had done displeased the LORD” (2 Samuel 11:27). The consequences were catastrophic. Prior to this, David could do no wrong; his rule was characterized by a steady ascent that had no apparent end. From this moment on however, his rule was plagued by family intrigue, treachery, and even civil war. The message is hard to miss, and it hit me between the eyes that morning years ago. 


St. Paul says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work” (II Timothy 3:16-17 NKJV). It did just that those years ago, accomplishing God’s purposes in me (Isaiah 55:11), coming to mind in that split second when I needed it most. Tonight as I remember that incident years ago, I am again thankful for the Word of God and the Holy Spirit who uses it to mold the believer into the image of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment