Saturday, May 25, 2019

Clutch

May 25, 2019

It’s been somewhat wonky for awhile now, but I didn’t think anything of it. Occasionally the clutch on my truck would stick when I depressed it all the way. I thought it was catching the floor mat and a tap with my toe would bring it back in line. That ended this afternoon. I had been asked to say a few words and offer a prayer at a memorial gathering for a woman from our Dunkirk church. I did so, spent some time with the family and got up to leave. 

Climbing into my truck, I depressed the clutch, turned the key and started up. The clutch was stuck, so I shifted to neutral so I could tap it with my toe. It popped up, but when I went to shift into reverse, the clutch wouldn’t budge. I all but stood on it; it was like a rock. There was no moving it. After calling Linda to come get me, I called AAA. When Linda arrived, she called Matt who suggested I Google the problem. I did. It sounds expensive. I don’t have much choice. 


That’s the bad news. The good news is that even though it’s never fun to pay repair bills, whatever it costs we can afford. There was a time when this wasn’t the case. Early on in our marriage, I did full brake jobs, tore into motors, replaced ball joints and radiators. I even did body work. It wasn’t pretty, but it did the job. I’be never been a mechanic, but when you don’t have the money, you have to do the best you can. It’s even worse when time is of the essence. There were way too many times I had to have the car ready by the next day. Stress is when you have neither the skills nor the tools but have to get the job done. So tonight I am grateful for AAA which towed the truck, for competent mechanics who will fix it properly, and for the resources God has given to get me back on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment