Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Election


“If nominated, I will not run, and if elected, I will not serve.” So said William Tecumseh Sherman when approached about mounting a presidential campaign following the Civil War. That quote came to mind last night when I received a message from a friend asking if I had heard about Sinclairville’s election.

“No,” I replied; then asked why he asked.

“Rumor has it James Bailey was elected trustee with 3 votes.”

“You’re pulling my leg.”

“Totally serious. I should ask you on the record, ‘Will you accept?’” Not knowing what all it involved, I wasn’t sure, and replied that I’d have to check with a few people. I did, and will. 


God works in strange ways. I retired, and last summer was asked to “fill in” pulpit supply.  It started out as a couple Sundays, and here I am, still at it. Now this. Not too many people can say they won an election they didn’t even know they were in. Not sure whether that’s good or bad; I guess I’ll find out soon enough. In the meantime, I have a lot to learn, and am thankful for an opportunity to serve my community in a new way. Give it a few months; we’ll see if anyone else is thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment