Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Juggling

January 24, 2018

It’s a hard, but necessary choice. When I agreed to serve as pastor of the Dunkirk church last summer, I knew it would be a challenge to fit everything in when the New Horizons Band started up. I was not disappointed, except in my own performance. Playing bassoon in the concert band, and string bass in the jazz band was fun, but I have to admit that I didn’t put in the practice time necessary to do my part well. I’m a better music lover than music maker. One instrument is enough of a challenge for me; two completely different instruments I can handle if I don’t have work responsibilities, but as it is right now, I’m out of my league. 

It was the recording of last fall’s concert that made me realize this. At the very beginning of the concert, the bassoon and the bass clarinet had a duet; we were the only two instruments playing, and I missed an easy full note. The dissonance echoed through the concert hall. It was the kind of mistake that would have gotten a professional fired. I didn’t even get a dirty look from the conductor; tribute to her grace and kindness.

Yesterday I wrote to her, telling her that due to my resuming pastoral responsibilities, I didn’t feel able to play bassoon for the concert band, but that if possible, I would like to continue playing bass for the jazz band. I was kindly offered the opportunity to play bass for the concert band as well, and was told it was OK to only make the Friday rehearsals. 


I love being with these people, making music as best I can. With so much of my life revolving around church life, having a completely different circle of friends gives a balance I need. I am thankful tonight for this band, for the music, and for Kate, our conductor, who understands and believes that the people and the process of making the music are more important than the performance of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment