Friday, January 19, 2018

Broken Stuff

January 19, 2018

The following is an edited text conversation I had with pastor Joe. And no, it’s not edited because of language or inappropriate content; some of our conversation isn’t relevant to my purpose in writing.

Me: “Joe, I was given a good working microwave to give to someone who might need one. Last I knew, the ones in Park [church’s] kitchen weren’t working too well. If you want this one, tell me which one in the kitchen you want replaced, and I’ll exchange them. Or if you know someone needing one, let me know. P.S. Are you feeling any better? We’ve been praying for you.”

Joe: “Thank you for the prayers! I am almost back to normal...although that’s always debatable. I think the kitchen swap is a great idea. Can it wait till Sunday to look at? I think there’s one to the right if so, that one doesn’t work. The one to the left works...most of the time.”

Me: “We can wait, but it’s in my truck now, is about the same size as the one to the right, and I’d be happy to deliver.”

Joe: “Let’s go with it, and send one with you next week? Part of me thinks there may be only one in the kitchen, now that we are talking. Why would I have kept the broken one around?? Stranger things have happened though!”

Me: “If it’s there, I’ll do the swap today. Pastors love broken stuff. That’s why we’re in business.”

I actually believe that last statement. Linda can testify to all the broken and seemingly useless stuff lying around in the garage that I kept because I’d find a use for it someday. I’m not exactly a hoarder, but it is hard to throw out something that still might have some use in it. It’s harder still to throw out broken people.

Mother Teresa was once washing the putrefying sores of a dying man the Missionaries of Charity had found on the streets of Calcutta. A tourist watching this scene commented, “I wouldn’t do that for a million dollars.” 

Her answer was short and to the point: “Neither would I.” She did it for Christ.


Broken stuff and broken people; that’s why we are in business. Maybe the broken stuff in my garage can be a reminder of the broken people Jesus is in the business of repairing. I hope so. And if it does, I’ll give thanks for all the seemingly useless and broken stuff around here that are signposts pointing me to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment