Thursday, June 1, 2017

Ordinary Things

June 1, 2017 Sometimes writing a gratitude journal can be challenging. It's not that there is a shortage of things for which to be thankful; it's that most of those things are forgettably ordinary. I don't live a life of high adventure; I don't even live a life of low adventure. These days, most days involve just taking care of business: house and yard work, grandkids' sports and programs. Not exactly the DNA of excitement. I understand that it's entirely possible that unknown to me, God is protecting me from unseen catastrophes, a blessing by default for which to be thankful, but I can't cite any close calls, miraculous deliverances, or divine interventions of which I am aware. Perhaps the ordinariness of my life is in itself something for which to be thankful. As far as I know, we aren't living on the edge of financial ruin, our family mostly gets along, our health is good. We have the luxury of reflecting on those little things in life that many can't even dream about, like a visit to the chiropractor that took care of the stabbing pain in my left hip, being able to buy fresh strawberries and heavy cream for the homemade strawberry shortcake we had for lunch, sharing that lunch with our daughter, our granddaughter and her boyfriend, retirement that gives us the time for these things. The list could go on; a warm home, pleasant surroundings, good friends, even tonight's weekly garbage pickup. Best of all is God's grace, the forgiveness and love that never quits, making it possible for us to receive this life free from guilt and shame. There's nothing ordinary about that, for which I am very thankful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment