Friday, June 2, 2017

Age Advantage

June 2, 2017 Helping a friend move to their "forever" home today was a privilege. Why would something that sounds like work be a privilege? Well, there are a number of reasons. First of all, I have a big flatbed trailer which combined with the U Haul truck, two other flatbeds, a couple of pickups, and an assortment of minivans, enabled us to move an entire household in one trip. Second, yesterday's visit to the chiropractor meant that I was able to work the entire day without any jabbing pain in my hip. Thirdly, it was a beautiful day for a move; sunny but not too warm. It's my final reason however, for which I give thanks tonight. At one point during a break in the action, we were standing around talking when one of the guys spoke of "an old guy" with whom he had a conversation the day before. I broke in. "What do you mean by "old guy?" I asked. "He is in his eighties," was the reply. Good answer. I would hate to have had to arm wrestle him for honor's sake. In a little more than a month, I'll be sixty eight. As I looked around at the guys who were helping with the move, there wasn't a single one who was out of his thirties. I'm guessing a couple were still in their twenties; guys to whom I am old enough to be their grandfather. These guys are young and strong; used to physical labor. So when it came time to move the refrigerator and washer and dryer, I didn't even feel guilty for letting them at it. There are advantages to age. Doing my part but not feeling even a twinge of guilt for passing on the real heavy lifting feels good, and gives me reason for give thanks tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment