Saturday, May 20, 2017

Grace

May 20, 2017

After a day standing on a ladder and an evening sitting on bleachers, I am ready for bed. Tomorrow I have the privilege of preaching for a pastor friend. I mention all this to simply say that my stock of wisdom and reflection is about used up. I was asked to speak on grandparenting. I have a bit of experience with this, but sermons are funny things. It would be easy to talk about all the things we can do to be a good grandparent, but that wouldn't be a sermon. If all I do is push good advice, it's not a sermon. At best it's a lecture. A sermon has one purpose, and one only: to offer the grace we find in Jesus Christ. Tomorrow's sermon won't list all the things a good grandparent does. I'll speak only on what a good grandparent should be; a purveyor of grace.

Kids need grace. They live in a world devoid of it. Come to think of it, we all live in that same graceless world. But when we trust in Jesus Christ, we are as St. Paul says, placed "in Christ," and in him there is grace. Tonight, I rest in that grace, and tomorrow I have the privilege of proclaiming it. Thank you, Jesus, for your matchless, unspeakable grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment