Thursday, February 16, 2017

Feeding the Soul

February 16, 2017

Sometimes, no matter how much I read or how hard I  try, the Bible seems like a closed book to me. I read the text, read some more, but it's just words on the page. I know the problem isn't with God, but with me. Sometimes my spirit just seems to be asleep. Maybe that's why St. Paul says, "Awake O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you." (Eph.5:14).

Most mornings I have breakfast. It can be as light as english muffin and coffee, or sometimes an omelette or cakes and eggs with the grandkids. No matter what I eat, I can't remember a single time I felt instantly energized by it. However, I don't stop eating just because I don't get an immediate buzz. I know that it takes time for the food I eat to be fully digested and transformed into muscle, skin, and bone. And I know that if I neglect eating long enough, my body will begin to deteriorate.

So when my Bible reading doesn't yield immediate "ah-ha's," I don't fret and I don't quit. I know that I'm feeding my soul, and that just as God has designed my body to be nourished by those eggs and muffins, so he has designed my spirit to be nourished by the Scriptures. I like those times when the light comes on and I know God is speaking, but I am content and thankful to know he is working in me even when it doesn't seem like anything is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment