Saturday, December 19, 2015

Wet Feet

December 19, 2015

Some days seem to be up and running before I am. Today was filled with people and activity from beginning to end, with hardly any breathing room. We had about 40 family members over for Christmas dinner, so Linda has been hard at work making sure the house is in perfect order, which means among other things that helping out mostly means staying out of the way and not making any messes. You can see where this is going, can't you? When after the movie I invited little Nathan and his sister Mattie to come over so they could play outside, I had to assure Linda they wouldn't make any messes, including leaving snowsuits, boots, mittens, and hats strewn all over the entry room. They didn't last long outside, and were soon casting off all their outerwear. I dutifully informed them that they had to take their snowsuits and mittens up to our bedroom, while I put their boots and mine in the shower so they wouldn't drain all over Linda's carefully cleaned floor. Made sense to me.

Everyone left about an hour ago. Alex and Abi came back to spend the night, just because they can, and while we were sitting in the back room watching an episode of Monk, Linda poked her head around the corner and said, "I have a confession to make."

Whenever someone says something like that, you just know you aren't going to like what follows. She followed not with a confession, but with a question. "Why were your boots in the shower? I reached in as I always do and turned the shower on without looking to let it warm up. How was I to know you had your boots in there?" She claims they only got a little wet, but I'm guessing she filled them almost to the tops.

The last time I got them just a little wet, it took nearly a week for them to dry out. I guess it was inevitable. Not too many people keep their boots in the shower. Nevertheless, I am grateful we can laugh about it instead of argue over it. It's a simple gratitude, but not insignificant. Relationships have often foundered on lesser things. Soggy boots. At least I don't have to wear them tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment