Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Perfect Gift

December 16, 2015

Finally. I not only thought of THE gift, but was able to locate and purchase it! Each year I wrack my brain trying to think of that one special gift for Linda, something a bit unusual that expresses a bit of my love for her. It used to be relatively easy; there was always something we needed. Today we are at a place in life where there's almost nothing we want and very little we need, so even though I bought her a couple gifts and made her another, none of them seemed to be quite what I wanted until today. I had to drive 2 1/2 hours to get it, but those hours on the road gave me time to think.

One of the most quoted verses in the Bible is John 3:16. "For God so loved the world that he gave..." It's that act of giving that interests me tonight. Our God is a giving God. He gives life, hope, salvation, health, strength, comfort, wisdom...the list could go on almost endlessly. I wonder if throughout human history God felt like I did before today. I had gifts hidden away, waiting for Christmas, but none of them satisfied my desire to give that one special gift. I wonder  as he gave faith to Abraham, interpretation of dreams to Joseph, leadership to Moses, strength to Samson, wisdom to Solomon, tears to Jeremiah, administrative ability to Daniel, if God wasn't waiting for just the right time to give that one Special Gift--his Son. All the other gifts, wonderful though they may have been, just weren't enough to satisfy his giving heart. Over 2,000 years ago as the newborn Jesus lay in a manger, I think the Father finally breathed a sigh of relief; THIS was the gift he had been waiting to give! Let the joy begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment