Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Who Are You!

October 8, 2024


“I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ that I may know Him …” —Philippians 3:8, 10 


“That I may know him…”


When we start really getting to know someone, we discover two things: 1) Who they really are, and 2) who you really are. Those discoveries can be pleasant, but are often painful. It takes time, but we learn about compatibilities and differences. The problem is, compatibility doesn’t guarantee a good relationship, and “incompatibility” doesn’t necessarily mean a bad relationship.


It takes time to learn if the other person is selfish or selfless, arrogant or humble, kind or controlling. But it’s only when we’re in a relationship that we learn the same things about ourselves. How can I know if I’m kind or mean if I’m never in a relationship where these characteristics can surface? 


In the same way, we learn who we really are by being in relationship with Jesus. He is like a mirror to our souls, revealing things about us that we might not want to know, but also revealing his unconditional love that makes such self-knowledge useful in our transformation into his image. 


Pay attention to your relationships. They will both reveal you and refine you.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment