Sunday, October 13, 2024

Slacking Off

 October 13, 2024

I remember watching a bicycle race where the guy in the lead began to celebrate crossing the finish line just a bit too early and was passed by the man in second place. Because he let up his pace, he lost the race he thought he had won. Cocky boxers who taunt their opponent have often found themselves on their backs on the mat. 


It’s easy to get complacent. We’ve done this a thousand times before and imagine we can do it with our eyes closed. “I’ve got this one in the bag,” we say. It’s a dangerous place to be. The king of Syria boasted that he was going to wipe Israel off the map. The king of Israel wisely answered, “Let not the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off.” (I Kings 20:11) 


Paul was afraid of this very danger, and said,


“Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

—Philippians 3:13-14 


I thought faithful Christian living would get easier as I got older. After all, I’m wiser, know the devil’s tricks a bit better, and am not tempted by many “youthful temptations.” Here’s my word to you: “It doesn’t get easier; it gets different.” Slacking off on prayer, letting down the guard of my mind, filling my head with the thoughts and attitudes of this world instead of God, are as dangerous today as they were sixty years ago. 


Don’t let yourself get spiritually lazy. It will catch up to you sooner or later, and the results are never pleasant.


No comments:

Post a Comment