Wednesday, September 25, 2024

What Is Your Name?

 September 25, 2024

“God also has…given Him the name which is above every name…”

—Philippians 2:9 


In the Bible, names mean something. Abram means “exalted father,” but when God changed his name to Abraham, it meant “father of nations.” Jacob means “cheater,” but God changed him into Israel, “a prince.”


My name James is a form of Jacob; my last name Bailey is from the Old English where the bailey was the most secure part of the castle. I’ve spent my life trying to live out of my first name and into my last.


The name Jesus means “Savior,” and not just any savior. When Paul says that name is above every name, he doesn’t intend us to use the Name as a talisman, as if something magical happens when we say, “in the name of Jesus.” Instead, he is declaring that there is no authority greater than Jesus. If you have claimed the name of Jesus for yourself, you have been given a new name, “Christian,” which means “Anointed,” or “Chosen One.” Remember that when some lesser authority attempts to dictate what you must or must not think, do, or believe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment