Monday, April 3, 2023

An Ordinary Day

 April 4, 2023

The storm that downed trees and took out power for many in our area did little more than deposit a few dead branches in our yard. A half hour’s work, and it was pretty much cleared up. One of my bee colonies that seemed to be doing well enough over the winter was a dead-out when I checked it today, courtesy of a local mouse who thought my hive was a perfect place to build her nest. The weather being quite cooperative today, we loaded up the old Harley parts preparatory to taking them to, of all places, Resurrection Cycle Works in VA. Linda and I enjoyed coffee and supper on the patio, hopefully the first of many such times this year. 


All of this to say spring is in the air, which means summer work is just around the corner. Inflation means the annual servicing of our tractor is going to cost a very pretty penny this year, but we are blessed to be able to afford it, even if we don’t like paying it. I like paying someone who knows what they’re doing more than I like doing the job myself.


A few other tasks filled up the day, culminating in worship team rehearsal and Men’s Bible study tonight. 


Why mention all this ordinary stuff? Because this week, like so many others, will look ordinary to the outsider looking in, but it is extraordinary from the inside looking out. I know less about how this week will end than I know about how that last ordinary week in Jesus’ earthly life ended. Other than the parade of Palm Sunday, Jesus’ last week on earth was pretty ordinary—preaching to the crowds, irritating and agitating the religious elite, but it turned extraordinary on Friday. Our own lives can turn on a heartbeat, as we discovered last year about this time when son Nate got sick.


Extraordinary and ordinary have been jumbled together this past year in ways we never imagined as the year began. That’s just the way life happens. We’ve been reminded to look for the extraordinary in the midst of the ordinary because God meets us in the intersection between the two. 


So I have enjoyed today, an ordinary day infused with extraordinary potential, if only I have eyes to see. I am looking intently, expectantly. God is on the move!


No comments:

Post a Comment