Sunday, December 5, 2021

Grace Alone

 December 5, 2021

If one takes it seriously, preaching is about the most humbling activity in which one can engage. Two weeks of preparation, revision, prayer, consultation, and more revision and prayer all went into this morning’s sermon. I’m by no means a novice at it, but I came away as I often do, thinking of what needed to be said that I left unsaid. 


I’m not looking for any pats on the back, or words of encouragement; I’m merely revealing my inner thoughts on this business of preaching. If I did not believe I was called to do it, I never would have courage to actually stand in front of a congregation and dare to present the life-giving Word of God. It is a fearful responsibility little understood by anyone who hasn’t attempted it. 


It’s not hard to present an orderly message, to provide illustrations, and to drive one’s point home. It’s not particularly difficult to dissect the text to extract its full meaning. What is difficult is making sure I am proclaiming Good News, not merely good advice. People can get good advice most anywhere; there’s only one place where the Good News can be found. But it’s surprisingly difficult to keep from drifting back into good advice. Revealing to people their situation and their place in it isn’t hard. Diagnosing the problem of sin isn’t hard; anyone with eyes that work can see what’s wrong in this world. And most people with a bit of life experience in life are not shy about giving their remedy for it all, usually in the form of what can or could be done to fix it. The Gospel however, isn’t about what we can do, but about what God has already done in Jesus Christ.


Tonight’s reading took me to Isaiah 12:2-5


“Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; ‘For Yah, the Lord, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation.’ ” Therefore with joy you will draw water From the wells of salvation. And in that day you will say: “Praise the Lord, call upon His name; Declare His deeds among the peoples, Make mention that His name is exalted. Sing to the Lord, For He has done excellent things; This is known in all the earth.”


The heart of these verses isn’t what we can do, but what God has done, and of my responsibility as a preacher to point out to everyone “his deeds among the peoples,” the “excellent things” he has done. In our human limitations and sinful leanings, it is easier to talk about what we need to do. Only by the power and leading of the Holy Spirit is anyone able to speak only of what God has done in Jesus Christ for our salvation. May God forgive me when I have failed to be clear about this, and give grace to be so clear in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment