Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Stuff

 September 28, 2021


When teaching his disciples about the End Times, Jesus made it clear that we are not to set dates. At the same time, he did give clues as to when this will all happen, but they are so general that they could apply to almost any time in history. I think that was his point, because none of us knowing what tomorrow will bring, he wants us to be ready at all times. 


In Mark’s gospel, when Jesus teaches about what he called the great tribulation, he spoke these convicting words: “[In the days of tribulation], “let him who is on the housetop not go down into the house, nor enter to take anything out of the house…”


We hold onto our possessions at our own peril; there comes a time when they begin to hold onto us with an iron grip. When I look around me, I see stuff that I value for the memories they bring or the comfort they bring. Photos on the wall, our wood stove, my chair, Linda’s antique roll-top desk, my great-grandmother’s platform rocker, my vintage smoker’s stand cup holder. All this in just one room. If major trouble were to suddenly descend upon me, would I be able to do as Jesus warned here, or would I be like Lot’s wife, looking back wistfully, to my own destruction? To what extent have I allowed the pleasures of this world dull my heart to the things of God? 


I don’t believe I can with complete honesty say with Jesus’ disciples, “We have left all to follow you.” I still have most of it, and I’m guessing it weighs me down more than I imagine. Hebrews 12:1 instructs us to “lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily entangles.” The image is of a runner who strips down to the essentials. Fancy clothes are not in themselves sinful, but they aren’t appropriate for running a race. The stuff I have is only wrong for me if it keeps me from the race Jesus calls me to run. The problem is, we so easily deceive ourselves into believing the stuff doesn’t matter, and that we aren’t being tangled up in our possessions, when in reality, we are. 


Most nations fall not due to external conquest, but because of internal softness. Part of that spiritual flabbiness is due to all the things we hold onto. We are so accustomed to our pleasures and privileges that most of us don’t even recognize how good we have it. If recent events are any indication, that may all change, which means it would behoove me to begin simplifying now, rather than waiting till the last hour. It may not be easy, but traveling light is a skill most of us would do well to learn. I’m not sure where to begin, but I’m betting Linda can point me in the right direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment